Friday, May 31, 2013

Test run in Lake Placid

I went to Lake Placid May long weekend to actually get a proper look at the bike and run course.

Saturday I biked a loop of the bike course (90km) and I gotta say -- it definitely wasn't easy -- but nothing blew my mind. Nothing made me think "holy shit, this is going to kill me". And I didn't pee my pants going down the Keene hill so, that made me feel good too.

I finished the loop in 3h40min and felt like I could keep going so I think my pace was ok. I averaged about 25 km/h. Also I didn't feel hungry or super thirsty so I think my fueling plan is on mark so far. I'm trying to take in between 200 - 300 cal/hour. I had one honeystinger (160 cal),  two LARABARS (250 cal/each) and about 1.5 bottles of IRONMAN PERFORM drink (240 cal). The LARABARS are great. Natural ingredients, moist and easy to chew/swallow/digest. I didn't feel like i had to go to the washroom 15 minutes later like with some of the other fuels i've tried. The honeystinger is a bit dry. I had to drink water with that but otherwise the taste was fine and again, no digestive problems. Come summer I'll be sweating more so I still have to test out some salt pills or electrolyte tablets.

Sunday I ran a loop of the run course (21.3 km). I was good until I turned on to River side road and then
it was so deserted (of cars and runners) that mentally I took a nose dive. I didn't stop running but it felt like a real struggle to stay on pace. Once I came back out on to more populated roads I was fine. Fuel for the run consisted for another honeystinger, a LARABAR and two 8oz containers of IRONMAN PERFORM and one 8 oz container of plain water.

Overall I was happy with the weekend. Hoping to make it down to Lake Placid one more time before the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment