Friday, January 4, 2013

Aches and pains ...

For some time now I've been worried about getting planter fasciitis. Wikipedia defines it as inflammation of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot -- the symptoms of which are pain and stiffness in the bottom of the heel. Uhg.

I've been worried about getting it because of my increasing mileage and the fact that I'm forefoot running now (which puts more stress on my arch/planter fascia). Well low and behold, PF reared it's ugly head just before the holidays. Granted I haven't gotten an official diagnosis but all signs point to it : first few steps in the morning are uncomfortable, as is walking around barefoot in the house (when previously it was no problem), etc.  It's not really painful at this point, but I don't want it to get worse. What to do?

Over the holidays I took a few extra "rest" days and that seemed to help but I can't really do that on a regular basis so I'm going to start a strict regiment of foot exercises and ice in the evenings and first thing in the mornings and see if that helps. Wish me luck.

Jan.5 addition: Wow. Seems like alot of readers have suffered a similar fate. Thanks to all of you that responded with suggestions on how to treat my PF!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment