Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tough weekend slog ...

This weekend was tough. Thursday was my rest day and I'm usually good to go for whatever my training calls for the next day but not this week. My legs still felt pretty fatigued. 

I blame the added weekly training (3.5 hrs of swimming). When I started my run/bike program it took my body a while to get used to the added activity so I figure this is the same thing. I also didn't get to bed on time later in the week and that's becoming more and more crucial to having a fully functional body/brain the next day. 

Friday's training called for a 130 min. bike (Zone 1). Typically I complete my long rides at the top end of my Zone 1 but this week it took all I had to stay within the bottom end. I also got antsy in my seat after an hour, couldn't stay in aero position and was up and out of my seat constantly. My left hip flexor was also bothering me during the last 45 min. Always seems to be the left side that goes first ...  

Saturday's training consisted of a 1.5 hr. swim, 50 min. bike and a 70 min. run. I managed to do them back to back with only about a 30 min. rest (read: drive home from the pool and get on the bike) between swim/bike and then about 10 min between bike/run. 

The swim went ok although I did feel slow. I tried breathing every 4 strokes again but couldn't maintain it after 4 lengths so switched to breathing every 3. It will take some time to get used to breathing on the other side but I'll figure it out. Coach says it will help me go faster. Here's hoping.

The bike, again, was at the lower end of my Zone 1. Hip flexor seemed ok though. The run was fine and at the upper end of my Zone 1. Left calf was bothering me in the last 20 min. and I had to stop once or twice to stretch it out. The rest of the day I was just zonked. Had a wicked headache and felt mildly nauseous. I think I need to eat and drink more ... but that's a topic for a whole other post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment