Thursday, January 10, 2013

No backing out now ...


As my training intensifies, I try to do various things to make it harder and harder for me to feel like I can back out of doing the Ironman (as if losing a $600 registration fee wasn't enough :)


Appropriate motivational
poster for this post.
Two things I've done lately is:

(a) asked family and friends to come to Lake Placid and watch the race.

My thinking is that if people are going to spend money to come and stay in Lake Placid to support me, I've got to follow through and show up on race day.

(b) started to talk about the race more openly with friends and colleagues.

I realize this might not seem like a big deal given I've had this blog for a while now but, to me, writing about it is different than talking about it. Talking about it makes it more real somehow.

In the past, if someone asked me about the race, I'd be pretty tight-lipped or try to shut down the conversation pretty quickly. Now though, I'm (trying) to be more open, talking about the race, my training, my diet, etc. The benefit has actually been two fold on this one as there's a number of athletes at my office and talking to them has yielded a wealth of information, from tips on technique to ideas on nutrition and training. 

If anyone has any other ideas to help keep the motivation up, send them my way. I might need them in the months to come.

1 comment:

  1. Fundraise for something. That way if you dont show up, you lose everyone elses money for whatever charity or cause you chose.

    ReplyDelete