Sunday, January 6, 2013

My first threesome!

Ok, ok, that's a sensationalized title, but it is kinda related to today's post. Yesterday was my first triple discipline training day! I swam, biked and ran.

The day started off with an early morning 1.5 hr. swim (first day of new swim program!), then after a few short errands and a refuel, I did a 2 hr. brick (bike/run).

Swim workout consisted of the following (2 km in total):
- 200m warmup
- 3 x 100m IM (Individual Medley = 1 length fly, 1 length breast, 1 length backstroke, 1 length free)
- 10 lengths x legs only (w/ a flutter board)
- 3 lengths butterfly
- 5 lengths breaststroke
- 5 lengths dolphin kick (w/ fins)
- 5 lengths front stroke (10 kicks per stroke w/ fins)
- 5 x 200m front crawl (20s rest in between)

My butterfly was ridiculous. Dolphin kick practice was fun -- with the fins you just flew through the water -- and after all the drills the final 5 x 200m went pretty smoothly. Later in the day my bike went by pretty quickly without any issues, as did the run. I thought my first triple was a great success until this morning when I woke up with uber sore inner thighs. I honestly didn't see that one coming.

I'm planning for this to be my standard Saturday workout from here on in and in time, doing all three one right after the other (so my body has experience doing the three disciplines continuously).

Now that I'll be swimming Monday/Wednesday/Saturdays I've had to shift my run/bike program a little to make sure I still have two full rest days so here's what my weekly training schedule now looks like:

Monday - AM Swim + PM Run (Z2 + Z1) + Strength
Tuesday - AM Bike (Z3 + Z1)
Wednesday - AM Swim + PM Run (Z5 intervals + Z1)
Thursday - REST
Friday - PM Bike (Z1)
Saturday - AM Swim + Bike (Z1) + Run (Z1)
Sunday - REST

No comments:

Post a Comment